Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel

vatican-museum.jpg
Deservedly one of the most famous places of the world, the Sistine Chapel is the place where you hold the conclave for the election of the Popes and other solemn Pontifical ceremonies. Built to the design of Baccio Pontelli by Giovannino de Dolci between 1475 and 1481, the chapel takes its name from Pope Sixtus IV, who commissioned. Is a large rectangle with a barrel-vaulted ceiling and is divided into two unequal parts by a marble screen. The screen and hurdle were built by Mino da Fiesole and other artists.

The frescoes on the walls show parallel events long into the lives of Moses and Christ and is a complex of remarkable interest, executed between 1481 and 1483 by Perugino, Botticelli, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Cosimo Rosselli and, with their respective groups of assistants, which included Pinturicchio, Piero di Cosimo and others; then Luca Signorelli, also joined the group.
The barrel-vaulted ceiling is entirely covered by the famous frescoes that Michelangelo painted between 1508 and 1512 for Julius II. The original plan was just to have represented the Apostles, but was changed at the insistence of the artist to understand an enormously complex iconographic theme can be summarized as the representation of humanity waiting for the coming of the Messiah. More than twenty years later, Michelangelo was summoned by Paul III (1534-49) to paint the last judgment on the wall behind the altar. He worked on it from 1536 to 1541.

The Sistine Chapel is the best-known Chapel in the Apostolic Palace, the official residence of the Pope in Vatican City. Is famous for its architecture and decoration which was painted by Renaissance artists including Michelangelo, Sandro Botticelli, Pietro Perugino, Pinturicchio and others. Under the patronage of Pope Julius II, Michelangelo painted 1,100 m2 (12,000 square feet) of the chapel ceiling between 1508 and 1512. The ceiling and above the judgement (1535-1541), is widely believed to be Michelangelo's crowning achievement in painting.

The chapel takes its name from Pope Sixtus IV, who restored the old Cappella Magna between 1477 and 1480. During this period a team of painters that included Pietro Perugino, Sandro Botticelli and Domenico Ghirlandaio created a series of frescoed panels depicting the life of Moses and the life of Christ, offset by papal portraits above and trompe l'oeil drapery below. These paintings were completed in 1482, and on August 15, 1483, Sixtus IV celebrated the first mass in the Sistine Chapel for the feast of the assumption, at which ceremony the chapel was consecrated and dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
Since the time of Pope Sixtus IV, the chapel served as a papal activities both religious and civil servant. Today is the site of the papal conclave, the process by which a new Pope is selected.
Save on Delicious